Larry Woodall says:
Spread this around...quickly to friends, neighbors, customers, employees anyone damaged by the ice storm. Note the number to call below.
In 23 counties so far.
BEEBE NEWS RELEASE
LITTLE ROCK – Governor Mike Beebe received word Friday afternoon that President Obama has granted his request for a major disaster declaration in Arkansas counties hit hard by last week’s ice storm.
The 23 counties covered by the federal declaration include Baxter, Benton, Boone, Carroll, Clay, Craighead, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Independence, Izard, Jackson, Johnson, Lawrence, Madison, Marion, Mississippi, Newton, Searcy, Sharp, Stone, Van Buren and Washington. Conway and Cross Counties were included in Governor Beebe's request but did not meet the requirements to be included in the federal declaration. Additional counties will be added to the State’s request as damage assessments continue.
"I again thank President Obama and federal authorities for their rapid consideration of our request," Governor Beebe said. "Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano called me this morning to touch base regarding FEMA's response in Arkansas and to offer her assistance in the final approval of our request."
The declaration brings with it federal assistance to cover 75 percent of the damages to public infrastructure in the affected counties, including utility systems, roads and bridges, water-control facilities and debris removal.
Beebe will submit an additional request for individual assistance to help Arkansans with uninsured losses resulting from the storm once those damage assessments are complete. Arkansans with such damage to their property are encouraged to contact the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management at 1-888-683-2336.