Friday, November 28, 2008

The Morning News' Skip Descant reports that Fayetteville Council ready to work with new mayor

The Morning News
Local News for Northwest Arkansas

Council Ready to Move Forward With New Mayor
By Skip Descant
THE MORNING NEWS
http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2008/11/28/news/112808fzmayorfolo.txt

FAYETTEVILLE -- With the big night still not completely worn off, celebrants and supporters of Fayetteville Mayor-elect Lioneld Jordan are pausing to take it all in. But they're also thinking about the future.
"We have new leadership, and regardless of who it is, everybody should get behind the new mayor and work to move Fayetteville forward," said Bobby Ferrell, a Ward 3 alderman.
"I would hope that everybody would have a good attitude and work to make Fayetteville a better place to live," Ferrell added on Wednesday.
Jordan won a decisive victory with 53 percent Tuesday night against incumbent Dan Coody.
Speculation about staffing changes in top posts at City Hall always makes for popular chatter when a new administration is elected. Jordan campaign officials maintain that no definite names have been put forward.
"He has not made any staffing decisions," said Don Marr, Jordan's campaign manager.
Jordan's new office on West Mountain Street comes with a postcard -perfect view of his former workplace at the University of Arkansas. And that office also comes with a salary more than twice what he earns at the university. Jordan, a "skilled trades supervisor," is paid $51,581 a year by the university, said Steve Voorhies, manager of Media Relations at UA.
Mayor Dan Coody earns about $107,000 a year.
Adella Gray, the other council member from Ward 1, and a Coody supporter, said "It'll be real interesting to see how it (the transition) transpires."
Gray and Jordan have often been on opposing sides of big issues such raising the property tax. Last year she supported an increase, while Jordan opposed.
Gray said she's unsure how Jordan will perform when it comes to consensus-building and bringing together a council to move forward his policy ideas.
"I have never seen him perform that way as a councilman," Gray said. But Gray said she's moving into the transition with the right attitude.
"And I'm going to try very, very hard to have an open mind about what transpires," Gray said.
Other city council members weighed in with good wishes for the next administration and pledged to work with Jordan to move Fayetteville forward.
"I've known and worked with Lioneld as long as I have Dan, and I can certainly work as well with Lioneld as well as Dan," said Brenda Thiel, a council member from Ward 1.
"I don't think it will change the way I do business," she added. "I'll continue to listen to my constituents and work with them, just as I always have."
"I think Lioneld -- the people elected him -- and he'll do a good job," she remarked.
"He's probably got his work cut out for him," said Robert Rhoads, a council member from Ward 3. Rhoads went on to note the many issues coming before the city in the next few weeks and new year. But added, Jordan is "very good at building consensus, so I'm OK there."
Some of the issues the mayor and council must tackle in the coming year include how to move forward with the SouthPass regional park or growing the Green Valley economic development strategy.
"I supported Mayor Coody in the election, but not because I had any problems with Lioneld," noted Rhoads. "I just kind of wanted to see what Mayor Coody started move forward."
"I'm happy for Lioneld and looking forward to working with him," said Sarah Lewis, the new council member who will be taking Jordan's place in Ward 4.
"I feel like my ideas and the things I want to bring forward will be welcomed by him," Lewis added.

No comments: